Challenge at hand
The company wanted to build a real-time aggregation platform for the Russell 3000 Index, an equity index of 3,000 of the most extensive US-traded stocks.
Future users of the platform would get accurate information sourced from the SEC, such as the valuation of a director's stocks, contact information for the board, and the company's Environmental, Social and Corporate Governance (ESG) record. Similar information available in the old version of the platform was:
- Unfriendly to use: Cluttered with legal jargon and not organized for ease of use.
- Segregated, time-consuming to sort: Needs the browsing of multiple sites, for which senior executives do not have the time.
- Not shareable: Users cannot share information reviewed with peers via email.
- Lack of premium content: No scope for users to create white papers or other valuable collaterals for the business.
The TechVariable Solution
Intel chose TechVariable to develop the platform because of its technical expertise, offshore development capabilities and proven fast turn-around. We worked on the initial scope for three months as planned. Director Intel has since decided to extend its engagement with us to strengthen the project further.
- Create a scalable, modular platform that can expand features with business growth
- Qualify for listing on RapidAPI - a centralized internal marketplace for APIs.
- Offer a quality user experience.
- Ensure reliability of service and protect sensitive data.
We designed the portal's architecture such that every module or API could be rolled out separately and bundled together if needed. It facilitated collaboration between developers and also ease of integration.
Objective: To monitor a company's real-time stock value and each director's valuation as per data from SEC's DEF14A filing. Real-time stock information is obtained using IEX Cloud's API, and relevant data on directors is extracted from the SEC website with a Python parser. The data is then consolidated to calculate a director's stock valuation in real-time.
Issue: To create a single generic parser to sort through different formats used by companies for their DEF14A fillings. It was challenging to write a rule-based scraper for all the HTML tags.
Solution: We leveraged an NLP-based search technique to locate relevant information from all the filing data. The team applied keyword combinations to filter out tables that were not pertinent and then formatted the information using pandas data manipulation techniques.
Objective: To develop sub-modules to capture news about the company, its competitors, and board members.
Issue: The Bing news API was used to get real-time news, but Bing News is not always chronological. Hence, the latest updates do not appear on top.
Solution: We prioritized news based on publication date and time, categorizing it into "today" and "previous day" to pick up fresh updates.
Objective: To create a database with the contact details of board members.
Issue: Verification and regular updating of contact details and providing access to only authorized users.
Solution: Multiple levels of authentication, including OTP verification and email consent, have been set up.
Additional modules under development
- ESG Module on a company's ESG records.
- Activism Module to track corporate activism.
New modules for the next phase
- Directors movement to track who joins, resigns, and changes roles. This module will be using coreNLP, selenium, and NLTK to extract the necessary information from the 8K filling.
- Permission management for viewing board contacts.
Need a custom software application for your buisness?
We at TechVarible do acknowledge that one size will not fit all. Hence, we work in collaboration with you to identidy, analyze & then develop a solution that fulfils your needs.
Either we will define the functional scope of your project to estimate the timeline and budget or you can create your own agile team from among our recources.
High level design architecture
Media Aggregation and Analytics Platform
Angular, JAVA (Springboot), Angular.js, AWS, Elastic Search, j, Neo4, Node.js, Python,
Development of Connector Engine
Angular, JAVA (Springboot), Angular.js, AWS, Elastic Search, j, Neo4, Node.js, Python
Write to us
Our well-designed processes, protocols and best practices ensure that security and compliance requirements are adhered to, irrespective of client location and project size.